Monday, September 22, 2008

Jose marti

I know you are probably tired of hearing this but i also found this reading hard especially because poetry is not one of my favorite types of writing. When reading Marti i felt that he had a lot of the basic, and expected parts of peotryhe had a lot of metaphors, and he uses a lot of descriptions he takes something as unattractive as a bridge and describes it in such detail that he makes it poetry. ( note i looked at a picture of the bridge and its not that great) i believe that being able to do this shows real talent, his other writings also are very poetical the one i like the most was "fiestas de la estatua de la libertad" He writes a lot about the USA but i had a hard time trying to see his connection to Latin America, maybe my poetic skills are not great but i did not find much connection to his roots and how being from Cuba and not from America affect the ways he sees all these places.

2 comments:

Leanna said...

I haven't thought of his work before as poetry, just very descriptive prose. I can see where you're coming from with this observation though, and I found that his diction was elegant enough to feel a bit like poetry.

Jacqui said...

I agree with you that his work is somewhat like poetry. I wrote in my blog about a couple of the poetic devices I found..such as metaphors and imagery. He also uses a lot of personification in his descriptions of the bridge...so those parts are interesting...but yeah it was a hard read...thankfully the stories get a bit easier to understand later on...